Time for another blog and a rousing Happy New Year to all
Now first before we get to the big question I would like to talk about all of the top ten lists I’ve been seeing all around the comic book websites. Most of them are filled with either Marvel or DC fair with the occasional Image book sprinkled in, or on the other end of the spectrum you find lists filled with books by Fantagraphics or Topshelf or their ilk. Now all of those lists are valid and have their merits but I see this bias every year and just feel indy genre books are usually looked over, and for anyone not paying attention and for full disclosure I happen to be one of those creators
But here’s my list of top ten indy books in no particular order.
- The Bean by Travis Hanson
- Glory by Joe Keating and Ross Campbell
- Hellboy by Mike Mignola
- Saga by Brian K Vaughn and Fiona Staples
- The Manhattan Project by Hickman and Pitarra
- Fatale by Ed Brubaker and Sean Philips
- Runners by Sean Wang
- Edison Rex by Chris Roberson and Dennis Culver
- The Sixth Gun by Cullen Bunn and Brian Hurtt
- Atomic Robo by Brian Clevenger and Scott Wegener
There are a bunch of books missing and I kept anything from Marvel and DC off the list because Fables and anything by Bill Willingham will always make my list and The Oz books from Marvel. Now along with the world defense challenge here’s another question what does your top 10 list for comics look like for 2013 or just in general? I want to know because I’m always on the lookout for new books
Now this question was posed by my buddy Erick Osuna Cabral :devMARR-PHEOS
: on his DA blog and I thought it was a lot of fun, I picked my team now who would you pick to be on your team?
His original blog can be seen here: marr-pheos.deviantart.com/jour…
Now the question: We're getting attacked by a highly evolved and incredibly powerful alien race of giant cyborg demon frogs that spit acid. Pick a "Dirty Dozen" to battle them on their turf. You can pick characters from any movie, TV show, comic book or cartoon. Who do you pick and why?
I will do my best to stick to my indie roots
1. Cerebus (By Dave Sim, specifically tax collector Cerebus, because if those stinking frogs haven't paid their taxes mallet to the head Cerebus is the one to deal with them.)
2. Glory (Created by Rob Liefeld reimagined by Joe Keating and Ross Campbell, because she's a hulking beauty of destructive arm ripping death.)
3. Edison Rex (By Chris Roberson and Dennis Culver, because we need a super genius villain turned hero.
4. Grendel: Hunter Rose (By Matt Wagner, because Batman rocks and Hunter Rose is better
5. Bigby wolf (By Bill Willingham, because who couldn't use the biggest baddest wolf in all the land to hunt and eat frogs.)
6. Atomic Robo (By Brian Clevenger and Scott Wegener. Created by Tesla to smash space frogs.)
7. Hellboy (By Mike Mignola, because he's a demon and he's already beaten up frogs in his own world and we could use the help.)
8. Judge Anderson (2000 AD created by John Wagner, because we need at least one psi-op and she kicks ass.)
9. Drake Sinclair (from The Sixth Gun by Cullen Bunn and Brian Hurtt, because he has 4 of the six guns of doom/destiny I forget which.)
10. Gamara (By Kadokawa Pictures, because he's Gamera friend to all children and he's Guardian of the Universe.)
11. Morningstar (From the Elementals by Bill Willingham, because if you want someone or something roasted including invading space frogs this is the woman to do it.)
12 Oswald (From The Oswald Chronicles by me JD Calderon, why you ask because it's my bat shit crazy list and I can have my character in the mix if I so choose, lol.)
I’ll have more soon and please keep supporting the Oswald Chronicles by voting for the site on topwebcomics.com
And here’s a look at the future from Jade Gonzalez and Liezl Buenaventura, from www.theoswaldchronicles.com enjoy